Garage and Home Security Reminder
We are reminding residents to be mindful of home and garage security following a number of offences around the city.
In recent weeks, we have seen an increase in the number of reported garage and home break and enters in a number of communities, including #Cityscape
However, these types of crimes are not exclusive to these communities, and can occur throughout the city.
Many of the garage break ins were due to doors being open or unlocked, or garage door openers being left inside vehicles that were prowled.
In the northeast community of Cityscape, there has been seven residential break and enters over the past two weeks, and in each case the suspect(s) have gained entry by cutting through the screen on an open window.
With hot summer evening upon us, the Service is reminding Calgarians to take preventative steps to protect their property.
If you will be away for a few days, or for an extended period of time, please ensure that your property is looked after. Do not advertise that the house is empty or disclose your vacation plans to others on social media. Share your vacation memories and photos after you’ve returned home from your trip.
The following are additional tips to help prevent beak-ins and car thefts/prowlings:
Vehicle theft and car prowling prevention:
- Report any suspicious activity or behaviour, such as someone trying door handles on parked vehicles.
- Garage openers should not be left in vehicles, or should be disengaged, as thieves can use them to gain entry into a home.
- Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
- Lock your doors and close all windows at all times, even while you are in your yard.
- Hide your valuables out of sight, or better yet, take them with you.
- Don’t keep extra keys in your vehicle.
Home and garage break-in prevention:
- Report any suspicious vehicles, activity or behaviour, such as someone showing up at your home “mistakenly” looking for a different address, or going through yards of neighbours that you believe are away.
- Remind your family to close the garage door(s) after removing bikes, vehicles and other items. Any open door is an invitation.
- Despite the warm weather, it is important to ensure windows and doors are secured at all times, even when you’re home. - Culprits need mere moments to commit a theft.
If you are away, ensure a friend or neighbour picks up your mail and flyers, and keeps your yard appearing cared for, giving the impression that you’re around.
- Use timers to control lighting within the home.
- Install exterior motion lights to brighten dark areas around doors or windows to make them easily seen by a neighbour or passersby.
- Lock all garage doors, including the one between an attached garage and the house.
- Always close and lock any windows that could be used to gain access to your home while you’re away or sleeping, even on hot summer nights.
- Store important or irreplaceable documents and items away from your home, such as in a safety deposit box. If you see homes with open doors, front doors with keys left in the locks, or a neighbour’s car with the trunk left open, give them a quick call to let them know.
- Consider installing home and vehicle alarm systems and vehicle anti-theft devices.
- Take precautions and keep your property/home secured, and always call police if you see suspicious activity in your neighbourhood.
Anyone with information about these offences is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or you can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods: